Like this event


At the mouth of the Huskvarna River in Lake Vättern are the remains of the fortress Rumlaborg. It was built in the 1360s by Albrekt of Mecklenburg, who was elected Swedish king in 1364 at Mora sten.

Rumlaborg, which was originally called Humlaborg, is named after the bishop's manor Humblarum which was built during the 13th or early 14th century. Why it later changed its name to Rumlaborg, no one knows for sure. Just west of Rumlaborg flows the Huskvarnaån, which was previously called Humlarumlaån. The fortress replaced Jönköping Castle, which had been burned by Duke Erik in 1309, and came to function as a strategically important lock for Holavedsvägen towards Östergötland. Rumlaborg County became the center of power in a castle county into the 16th century. During the 15th century, the power of the castle bailiffs increased, which eventually resulted in the Engelbrekt uprising of 1434 when many castles were taken and burned, including the castle Rumlaborg.

King Karl Knutsson restored Rumlaborg at the end of the 1440s before imminent battles with the Danes. In 1452, the castle was besieged by the Danes and Commander Eggert Krummedige then chose to side with the Danes, but the castle was then taken by Eric Nipertz. In 1464, the castle was besieged again in connection with Karl Knutsson's renewed takeover. It was taken over by Kettil Karlsson (Vaasa) who made sure that his brother Erik Karlsson (Vaasa) became a courtier. After that, Rumlaborg's stronghold disappears in the historical sources. The county of Rumlaborg ceased under Gustav Vasa's government, when a new castle was built in Jönköping in 1544 instead.

In the 1850s, the area was leveled and converted into a park in which a gazebo was built. It was not until the 1930s that the ruin was restored, and the archaeological survey was carried out. What remains of the ancient castle is a core, consisting of an irregular hill, two ramparts and three moats. Finds from the site are available at Huskvarna City Museum.