Gränna Church stands in the heart of Gränna, dominating the town’s skyline. It was built on the remnants of the original stone church dating back to the middle of the 12th century. The foundation of that church is still preserved under the floor of today’s Gränna Church.
The original church was rebuilt and expanded in several stages over the centuries. For example, Count Per Brahe the Younger funded the cost of a new stone tower in 1673. Much of that church was destroyed by a fire in 1889. However, furnishings were saved from the fire, including the altarpiece, a medieval communion cabinet and some light fixtures and artwork. Articles rescued from the fire are now on display inside Gränna Church.
The church has been designated a “vägkyrka”, a church open to travellers. The church is generally open from the end of June until the beginning of August, with a host, guided tours, music and coffee.